Tuesday, November 10, 2009

November ASOM

Last night was our monthly meeting for ASOM-Altered States of Mind, a fun group of female artists. As a way to stay focused they have been working on the techniques in Bernie Berlin's book Artist Trading Card Workshop. Last night we worked with metal tape and alcohol inks, these were just a few of my supplies for the evening.
-Metal repair tape, found in the duct work aisle of any hardware store.
-Alcohol inks, a supply I've had in my studio for over a year but have found very frustrating to come up with any results I like.
-Texture-drywall mesh, wire, puzzle pieces, chipboard or paper die cuts.
-Black Acrylic Paint
-Stylus, brayer, paper stump, 10 seconds studio implements
This is the result from my 2 hours of playing last night. From left to right-first one is all about creating texture, I put a little piece of everything I had under the tape and burnished just to see what it would look like. On the second one the texture includes a paper die cut and mesh scrap (that is actually the left over scrap from manufactured sequins-isn't that cool), finally some alcohol inks. This combination used Espresso, Mushroom and Butterscotch. The last piece used a chipboard die cut, it had nice deep texture but it also tore the tape in some places as I burnished. I will play with all these more and return one at next months meeting for an ATC exchange.

If anyone has a love of alcohol inks, useful techniques, or a favorite color combination I'd love know more.

Angie

2 comments:

Tulip said...

hey, is that my missing puzzle piece? (just kidding)

Hopelessly Romantic Art Studio said...

What a fun two hours of experimenting. Great results! Are you going to make trading cards with them? I'm still trying to get the hang of the alcohol inks myself. Love all the texture :D
Gerri