Thursday, December 10, 2009

Image transfer onto wood

Last week I found a tutorial on transferring ink jet images onto wood and tonight I finally had a chance to try it out. I decided to try the technique with a transparency sheet. First I put a thick coat of Elmer's glue on the transparency and let it dry. Then I sanded down the edges of the wood block I wanted to transfer onto. Using vintage Santa images I cropped them to fit the block, then printed the images in reverse on the transparency. I used my Epson printer with Dura Brite inks since they are somewhat water resistant. I did need to attach the transparency onto a carrier sheet to get the printer to accept it. Once printed I applied Mod Podge to one side of the block and carefully applied the image burnishing with my fingers.

I let this dry for about 30 minutes (because I'm impatient) then pulled up the transparency, the results were a bit splotchy but not bad.
Eventually I did all four sides, the best transfer came when I let the image sit on the Mod Podge for over an hour.

This last santa had some real trouble but I decided I could hide it. This wood block's future is as an ornament I'm taking to the ASOM swap on Monday.
Made a huge mess in my studio pulling out all the possible embellishments...
this is the final result.




I may still add something to the bottom, maybe some vintage glass beads, but I'm out of time for tonight and I'm headed to bed.

Angie

9 comments:

CosmoGirl Carla said...

Awww, I want one!!! I love how that turned out, Angie. I really love the "splotchness" you mentioned - gives it an old, worn feel. Would you say it was way too much work, or would you make it again. Hmm . . . I have some unfinished wood blocks laying around, I may need to try this.

LuLu Kellogg said...

Angie I love this! I will have to give the transfer thing a try!

LuLu~*xoxo

marie said...

Great idea ~ I can see using this to make some puzzle blocks for the little people at my house...next year! : )
Thanks for sharing a super project!

Hopemore Studio said...

Carla- I am going to try it again. I only picked up one block at the craft store (because I wasn't sure it would even work) It was definitely worth the time I put into it.

Thanks LuLu, good luck with it.

Marie-Thanks! I'm sue puzzles would be adorable.

Angie

The Feathered Nest said...

Angie! I love these!!!! What a beautiful look they have, I love the aged finish ~ xxoo, Dawn

yanmaneee said...

mbt shoes
air jordan
yeezy boost 700
mbt
jordan shoes
moncler jacket
yeezy boost 350
paul george shoes
ferragamo belts
yeezy boost 350 v2

Unknown said...

view publisher site 7a replica bags wholesale you could try here Ysl replica handbags look at here now high quality designer replica

thoatulou said...

redirected here 7a replica bags wholesale you could try this out click over here now web link www.dolabuy.su

thathysh said...

hop over to this web-site s7n51m3n28 best replica designer replica ysl bags australia replica bags vuitton anchor h8c19i0i37 replica bags and shoes replica bags in pakistan replica gucci bags v4h08b5k80 replica bags philippines